LeSo©
Welcome to Lego Society©️ (LeSo©️)!
If you're a member, sign in.
If you're a guest, we encourage you to register, we'd love to have you! All advertisements will be gone once you register and sign in, and there's a whole other part of the forum for members only. Join now!
LeSo©
Welcome to Lego Society©️ (LeSo©️)!
If you're a member, sign in.
If you're a guest, we encourage you to register, we'd love to have you! All advertisements will be gone once you register and sign in, and there's a whole other part of the forum for members only. Join now!
LeSo©
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LeSo©

Proud sponsor of the MLN Solutions - My LEGO Network® fan site.

HomeCentralLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Religious Discussion and Debate

Go down 
+3
c♪ux
technoninja2008
zac11th
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
zac11th

Religious Discussion and Debate Empty
PostSubject: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 9:59 am

Ok you may say to your self, Christianity and Catholicism are the same thing. Wrong. Catholics and Protestants both believe in God BUT there are a couple things Catholics (mostly Roman) do a LOT differently from what Protestants believe.

1. The first and biggest is that Catholics believe Mary, mother of God was holy, so much as to be perfect. And that you can not pray to God, you must pray to mary and she "gives the message" to God. Protestants though believe you may pray directly to God and that Mary was not perfect, but that Mary was like any other person. Saying Mary was perfect is like saying she is another God, which is wrong. And also, saying Mary has to carry messages to God, basically says God can not do it himself, which defiles his meaning. This is pretty much the main reason for why we have Protestants today.

2. I have a friend, most of you know him, his name is JPMI and he is a Catholic while i am a Protestant (Baptist) I have discussions with him and his parents alot about our different beliefs. One thing that came up in conversation was the fact that there are some saints that prayed to they can grant you different things. Like one was the "saint of lost items" praying to/through him would supposedly help find missing items. I thought this practice was strange because it is basic Polytheism. Polytheism means that you worship more than one God, so i strongly disagree with praying through saints.

3. Another BIG difference is at my church our Pastor has a big pulpit with the words "sola scriptura" which is latin for "the scriptures alone" but the Catholic church does not just follow the bible. Catholics follow three different sources and name each one holy and that the source the information came from is NEVER wrong. The first source is the Bible, they have added books to the Bible, so it is not all that genuine. Second is the pope, they say he can not be wrong and that what ever his says is divine and trustworthy. The Pope is the head of all the Catholic churches, he also can make holy changes in peoples lives. If the pope said that eating salad was ungodly and they should stop, then Catholics would drop their salad bowls and never eat it again. The third location is tradition, if it was done before it must be right they believe. One tradition is praying to the saints, I wonder if they see it is wrong, but do it anyway because they believe in the strength of tradition. As a Baptist, I believe that the Bible is the ONLY source of holy, and divine teachings from God. I also believe that "Canon" (the period in which God talked through man) is over, meaning no man can receive divine instructions from God that are holy enough to go in the Bible. God will talk to man in due time, but for now he speaks through the Scriptures, His divine word.

4. Another belief of the Catholics is that you can not pray to God for forgiveness on your own. To be forgiven of sins, you must go to a priest and have him pray for you. So basically Catholics can not pray to God directly, they cannot ask for Gods forgiveness by themselves and they ask saints, who are not even gods, for things God could easily grant. I believe that no matter where you are or who you are with, you can always ask for God's forgiveness.

These are some of the biggest differences in Christianity and Catholicism.

If you have any questions or comments either PM me or post it here! thank you for reading.

zac11th
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 6:56 pm

...No offense, but this is the BEST way to teare a forum apart...
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 7:21 pm

We'll watch it. I find it interesting, I just...can't think of what to say.
Back to top Go down
zac11th

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:53 pm

technoninja2008 wrote:
...No offense, but this is the BEST way to teare a forum apart...

they are just the differences. if any one wants to go Thermal nuclear warfare with me, let them. i love discussion and it should be praised in a forum...

zac11th
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 9:58 pm

Let them? Umm...discussion yes, but 'thermal nuclear warfare' should be avoided. ;P
Back to top Go down
zac11th

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 10:55 pm

dRock wrote:
Let them? Umm...discussion yes, but 'thermal nuclear warfare' should be avoided. ;P

lol. yeah maybe not TERMAL nuclear warfare at least. XD

zac11th
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyThu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 pm

lol, so what about sins? What exactly are the differences in beliefs about Jesus and forgiveness?
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 11:50 am

what egzactually do you mean?
Back to top Go down
zac11th

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 2:55 pm

dRock wrote:
lol, so what about sins? What exactly are the differences in beliefs about Jesus and forgiveness?

We both believe that God came to earth and died for our sins. BUT they believe you must ALSO do good works to get to heaven. About forgiveness, i posted that. They go to see a priest and ask him to ask God for their forgiveness. Protestants believe that you can pray and ask God for forgiveness anytime you need it.

zac11th
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 pm

Calthilics belive that you must do pentunt's, do you know what they are?9I do, im just cheaking if you do)
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Okay, thanks guys. And no I don't tech. What are they?
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyFri Jan 29, 2010 8:05 pm

well, they belive that each time you sin(like not emptying the dish washer.lol) that you have to do 1 pentent, like you say to "mary" sorry, over and over. thats a pentunt. and they whould do all there pentunts at one particular time of the week(im guessing sunday) so like youde do 17 of them?! and those are pentunt's.

Go JESUS!!!
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 12:01 am

Oh okay, wow, then catholics can sin whenever without any consequences? That doesn't make any sense. Am I missing somethin?
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 12:09 pm

No, they do, they whould have consecuences like grounding and stuff, but they do pentunt's too. and by they I mean cathlic, not christains who do the pentunt's.
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySat Jan 30, 2010 6:42 pm

Oh okay, but grounding? There's no heavenly or whatevr punishment?
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 7:57 pm

God doesn't punish you for anything. No matter what it is, he died on the cross so are sins could be forgivin.
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Oh...wow, sooo we can just sin all we want that doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:10 pm

No, we can sin, but God doesn't want us to TRY and sin, he came down on the cross to save us from our sin, to keep us from going to hell., he wants to do good and minster about him to peope who don't know him.

btw, doing pentunts to mary is a false thing to do in religon, God already forgives us, and the cathlic's belive you have to constantly say sorry to mary when she isn't the real God. even when your saying sorry to god, he already forgives you, you just ask"God, forgive me of my sins" and he forgives you...
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:21 pm

So what about addictions and stuff then.
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:25 pm

Jesus died on the cross for all sins, addictions included, and wants to help you stop if there bad, but what are you asking Entirely?
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:32 pm

what do you mean 'entirely'?
Back to top Go down
technoninja2008

technoninja2008

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptySun Jan 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Like with the hole question."what about addictions"
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 1:22 am

We should keep that off the forum.
Back to top Go down
zac11th

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 pm

No we should not. Addictions is an excuse people use for wanting to sin over and over again.
Back to top Go down
c♪ux
Administrator
Administrator
c♪ux

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 6:55 pm

Pmed you a response...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religious Discussion and Debate   Religious Discussion and Debate Empty

Back to top Go down

Religious Discussion and Debate
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next